Absenteeism currently costs the Australian economy about $7 billion*, while the cost of presenteeism (where employees are sick on the job) is approximately $34# billion through lost productivity.
Influenza, or as it’s commonly known, “the Flu”, is a highly contagious virus that can affect the entire body. It’s easily spreadable and is contagious even before symptoms appear.
Being vaccinated is the most effective way to help the body strengthen its immunity against infection and prevent contracting the influenza virus and passing it on to others in the workplace, at home or on the daily commute.
By offering flu vaccinations to your employees, you will:
- Reduce absenteeism due to influenza, and associated cost to businesses, by 25-35%
- Promote a healthy workforce
- Demonstrate your organisation’s interest in workforce health and wellbeing
- Increase the ‘Herd Immunity’ at work, to reduce the spread of the virus
- Limit employee disruption and increased workloads for employees that are not infected.
Did you know, the flu virus
- survives 48 hrs on hard & non-porous surfaces
- survives 12 hrs on tissues & clothing
- remains infectious for 1 week at body temperature
- over 30 days at freezing temperatures
- indefinitely below freezing
Contact us to talk about your 2022 employee influenza vaccination program.
* From Health Services Australia, Managing Absenteeism Report, November 2002, as cited in Medibank Private’s “The health of Australia’s workforce” (November 2005)
# Sick at Work – The cost of presenteeism to your business and the economy. July 2011 Part of the Medibank
research series: https://www.medibank.com.au/Client/Documents/Pdfs/sick_at_work.pdf